The iron is an indispensable household appliance that allows each of us to look decent by effectively smoothing out the folds on our clothes. Surprisingly, already in the 4th century B.C. people paid due attention to their appearance. In particular in Ancient Greece the technology of pleating cloth was invented. In the XVIII the metal rods were replaced by devices running on gas. Devices with an electric heater were invented only in the XIX century. Today the range of products for ironing is extremely large. And many users do not know how to choose an iron. Let’s try to deal with this task.
As you have already understood, the abundance of electronics requires a detailed analysis of the market and a responsible attitude to the study of the main parameters, which we will do. In addition, we will consider tips from experts, reviews from buyers and varieties of equipment, so that you can buy the necessary model among the best irons.
Types of irons
Currently, irons for home use are classified according to the following parameters: type of soleplate, size, additional functions. From this it follows that there are 4 types of irons:
- Classic – ordinary products for ironing, distinguished by a small set of functions. Such inventions have no devices for humidification, and the process itself is carried out manually. For obvious reasons, these devices have a democratic cost. It is important that there is a regulator of the soleplate;
- Steam ironers – are the most popular, because they are suitable for both dry and wet ironing. They differ in versatility and excellent soleplate gliding. When choosing a steam iron, pay due attention to its shape. In particular, so that it provides for ironing thick and soft fabrics under the buttons;
- Travel irons are small in size, which makes them easy to carry in bags. As a rule, the technical possibilities and scope of application are limited, which is justified by mobility and weight;
- With sprayer – models equipped with a humidifying device. Accordingly, they have a fairly wide range of applications, but are inferior to their steam counterparts.
Regardless of the type of iron, it is important that the device has a quality soleplate, power, steam delivery system.
Choosing an iron by parameters
Trying to save money, users often ignore very important characteristics. If you do not know how to choose an inexpensive iron, consider that the quality of the soleplate is a priority aspect. If the budget for the purchase is small, it is advisable to limit yourself in power, but not in the quality of coverage. For a small family, the power of 1600 W is quite enough. For frequent ironing of large amounts of things – 1900-2400 watts. There are more powerful devices, but they are rarely used in the home. Keep in mind, the higher the power, the greater the energy costs, and, accordingly, the figures in the utility bill.
What type of soleplate should I choose for my iron?
Undoubtedly, this factor has a serious impact on the quality of ironing different tissues. For obvious reasons, before you buy this or that model, you must decide for yourself with what soleplate it is better to choose an iron. Keep in mind that the material significantly affects the cost:
- Ceramic – metal-ceramic is the most expensive option, which is due to its excellent properties: easy cleaning, heat retention, protection from mechanical damage. Such models do not scratch and easily slip on any fabric;
- Stainless steel is the epitome of durable soleplate that is easy to clean. Such models are often complemented by special coating and holes, which positively affects the speed of work;
- Aluminum – an excellent heat conductor that provides rapid heating and cooling. As a rule, these models have a reasonable price, but they are easily damaged. Over time, burrs form, which negatively affect the quality of ironing. It is important that such irons were equipped with a good coating, and did not leave marks on the fabric;
- Teflon – a good solution for people who intend to choose an inexpensive iron for home. The coating does not stick to fabrics, and does not burn things. However, the soleplate of the specified material is easily damaged by metal accessories.
As for efficiency, here you should rather be guided by the quality of steam supply. Keep in mind that the best smoothing and moisturizing have steam analogues. The more holes in the soleplate, the better.
If you’re planning on choosing the right iron for home use, keep in mind that the quality of humidification and steaming depends not only on the number of holes, but also on their location in the soleplate:
- The classic option – the micro-holes are located on the heel and on the spout of the iron. The larger ones are placed in two rows along the sides;
- Advanced models – have holes evenly spaced around the soleplate in 1 or 2 rows.
Actually, and the steam supply system can have several technical solutions. In particular, there is a horizontal and vertical steaming. In the second case, the models are additionally equipped with steam blows and splashing.
As for the amount of steam that is released in the process of the iron in 1 minute, the index is measured in grams: from 30 to 100. For obvious reasons, the powerful models have a special regulator, which is usually at the front of the handle. This will allow you to choose the optimal feed rate depending on the type of fabric.
Important characteristics of irons
Now let’s talk about the parameters that relate to the usability of the technique. Talking about how to choose an iron for home use, it is important to pay due attention to:
- The length of the cable;
- the convenience of the handle;
- weight and dimensions;
- Steam generator (optional).
It is worth adding that there are special attachments. For example, for delicate fabrics, vertical ironing, etc. Here everything rests on the financial capabilities of the users. But if you plan to choose an advanced iron, focus on models with double or removable soleplate, which have a perfectly smooth surface. With such devices you will be able to fix the nozzle and iron even very thin fabrics at low temperatures.
Optimal cable length
Nowadays, there are devices with a network cable and wireless connection. In the first case, the cord length can range from 0.8 to 4 meters. Based on the reviews, you should choose an iron with a cord length of 1.9 to 2.5 meters. In this case, it is desirable that it moves. Pay attention to the presence of a ball mount that provides for 360° rotation. This prevents the cable from twisting. Accordingly, it will last longer.
When choosing an iron for your home with wireless connection, make sure that the stand for connection is of high quality. Such a device is convenient in that it allows more freedom of movement, and the wire does not get tangled.
Of course, the weight of the device is not the least important in terms of operation. If you intend to choose a good iron for home, note that the weight should not exceed the mark of 9 kilograms. At the same time, the weight can vary from 400 grams to 12 kilograms. This characteristic does not affect the quality and slip of the soleplate, but the maneuverable device is easier to control. Of course, this parameter is not the key, and the iron’s weight always depends on the platform material. Accordingly, a steel soleplate is heavier than an aluminum one, but of much higher quality. Therefore, it is reasonable to sacrifice convenience in favor of ironing quality. But do not forget about the body and handle, which also affect the weight of the device.
It is good if you have the opportunity to hold the device by the handle to understand how comfortable it will be to use. But if you buy the device in an online store, first of all, focus on models with a folding handle. They are more convenient and allow for easy transportation.
Additional functions of irons
Due to ignorance, how to choose an iron for home, many users underestimate the importance of the quality of spraying and steaming. Keep in mind that the spray unit should be on the spout of the iron. The more powerful the module, the easier it is to iron thin fabrics. Professional models need to support both horizontal and vertical steaming. This will allow you to iron things on the rack. With their help, you can improve the look of curtains, drapes, etc.
A very useful option is the “Turbo Steam”, which allows steam to be supplied for efficient ironing of dense fabrics. The steam selection can range from 90 to 120 grams per minute. Generally, the increased steam blows not only allow you to iron, but also to clean the fabric of accumulated dirt particles. A great way to clean carpets.
Judging by the reviews of buyers, a great addition is the self-cleaning function, which greatly simplifies the care of the iron. As a rule, this option is implemented by all leading manufacturers of equipment.
Steam irons with a steam generator
Special attention should be paid to irons equipped with a steam generator, which are becoming more and more popular lately. They provide an uninterrupted supply of steam, which affects the efficiency of working with different fabrics. As a rule, such devices have a separate unit with a heating element and a large boiler. Choosing an iron for home use with a steam generator, it is important that it be equipped with a long hose: 1.5 to 4 meters. If it is shorter, there will be problems due to the restriction of movement. Accordingly, this will affect the pressure and efficiency of the device.
The bigger the boiler, the better, as you will not have to constantly refill the water. The obvious disadvantage of such devices is the large weight and size.
Tips for choosing an iron for home use
Finally, we want to talk about the importance of safety and protection of irons. Often users leave devices on, which leads to unpleasant consequences. For obvious reasons, experts recommend choosing models that have an automatic shutdown. As a rule, such devices turn off after 10 minutes in an upright position.
Another useful function is protection against limescale, which prevents the clogging of steam ducts, and thus increases the life of the device.
Experts on choosing irons recommend that you also consider the quality of the filters. A great option is an anti-drip system, which prevents drips from entering through the small holes of the appliance.
Hopefully, now you know how to choose an iron for your home, so that it meets your requirements and the price/quality ratio. Share your opinion and experience of using the devices. This will help other users make the right purchase!