The first curling tongs appeared in the 19th century, and quickly enough gained a target audience. In 1882, Marcel Grato announced the device in his barbershop in the center of Paris, and a year later he became a millionaire. But as soon as the invention was released for free sale, hairdressers had serious competition. Therefore, they are reluctant to talk about the features of such products. Nevertheless, we managed to find responsive stylists who decided to share their advice. Given that many users do not know how to choose a hair iron because of the variety of existing inventions, the recommendations of professionals are very helpful.
Many buyers to this day believe that irons and curling irons are the same thing. In fact, the first device has a wider scope of application, and allows not only to curl, but also to smooth the hair. At the same time, the best curling irons give curls a volume at the roots, allowing them to curl in any direction. Let’s consider the main parameters, and what you need to pay attention to buy a quality and effective device.
Types of hair Straighteners
Curl straighteners are only becoming more popular. Therefore, it is necessary to pay due attention to safety, and consider the opinion of experts on the choice of hair irons. Nowadays, a variety of materials can be used to make heating plates:
- Metal – the cheapest and most ruthless option for hair health;
- Ceramics – also a budget solution, the disadvantage of which is the sticking of cosmetics to the plates. But, there are also advantages – even heating, gliding, maintaining the desired temperature. If you decide to choose a ceramic hair iron, regularly wipe the surface after use;
- Titanium – used by professionals, as the material is fragile. Attracts by heating to high temperatures;
- Teflon – the best choice for soft curls. Such plates are indifferent to styling agents, but glide poorly. This finish is not durable;
- Tourmaline – provides soft gliding, the use of any means for hair styling. These models are very expensive, because when heated, they produce negative ions, which contribute to the preservation of moisture and the health of the curls;
- Marble – practically safe for health, which is due to the effective cooling after exposure to high temperatures;
- Jadeite – the plates give shine and are supposed to interact even with wet curls;
- Silver – not only does not harm, but also revitalizes the curls. The best solution for dry and brittle hair. The price is cosmic;
- Tungsten – the most expensive irons, characterized by instant heating and even temperature distribution across the plates. They allow without cosmetics to make a hairstyle that will last for several days.
Choosing the best size
In addition to materials, the size and shape of the plates are used to classify the technique. There are the following types of hair irons by size:
The size of the first variant can vary from 1.5 to 3 centimeters. Respectively, wider models are designed for longer braids. Keep in mind that the choice of the iron should take into account the type of hair. For example, for girls with short haircuts, the plates, a width of up to 2 cm, are considered the best option. But, if the hair is thick and heavy – increase the width to 3 cm. For the most puffy and long haircuts – from 7 to 8 cm.
Temperature and thermostat
Choosing a hair straightener for hair straightening must also be guided by the peculiarities of the haircut. Depending on the material of the plates, the maximum temperature range of heating can vary from 100 to 230 ° C. For different types of curls, the optimal values differ:
- 150 ° C – for smoothing thin and split hair, which is undesirable to traumatize;
- 180 ° C – for normal (can be dyed);
- 200 ° C – for hard, curly strands that are poorly amenable to styling.
Judging by the reviews, it is desirable that the thermostat is on the handle. It can be represented by a multilevel or mechanical switch. The first option is better, as it is easier to control the temperature and avoid traumatizing the strands.
Tips for choosing a hair straightener
In addition to the basic parameters, you need to consider the heating time to the maximum temperature – for ease of operation. Professional models are ready to work after 5-10 seconds. Household devices, as a rule, are heated to the desired temperature in 1-1.5 minutes. When choosing a hair iron, note that the models with a heating time of 3 minutes or more are time-consuming. Imagine how inconvenient it is to operate a low-power device in the morning, if you are in a hurry to work. In addition to this, there are several other important aspects that not all sales assistants tell you about…
Type of fastening of the plates
This parameter is responsible for the ease of operation of the device. It should be taken into account when choosing an iron for hair smoothing. There are floating and rigidly fixed parts. Models characterized by a stable fixation or built-in blades are regulated by physical effort. The harder you squeeze the handles – the tighter the tongs fit the hair. Models with floating plates are more convenient because they are mounted by rubber bands. You do not have to make special efforts for their movement. Experienced users know that on the market there are more devices with built-in blades, but their operation causes the hands to get bogged down during the first 10 minutes after turning them on.
Gap between the plates
It turns out that such an element as a gap between the heating elements also plays a certain role in the efficiency of hair smoothing. The strands that get caught in the gap between the compressed plates are not heated evenly, so they have to be re-treated. The absence of a gap indicates that the curls will be heated evenly, and you will not suffer as much from the load as with cheaper models.
Types and purpose of nozzles
Extra attachments always provide more room for experimentation. When choosing a good iron, pay attention to the above aspects, and only then the number and variety of additional components. According to experts, the most important are the following:
- curling tongs;
There can be many more detachable elements and additional modes. It is not uncommon for several nozzles to perform the same task. Therefore, you should not trust different marketing proposals. Keep in mind that many manufacturers often try to compensate for the disadvantages of the main components with a complete set.
Hopefully, this is enough for you to choose a quality product. Good luck.