Are you looking for some helpful pregnancy books to guide you through the 9 months?
Being pregnant can be daunting especially if it is your first pregnancy. For a new parent, every small detail related to the pregnancy might bring joy and anxiety.
There are several good books that can help you sail through these nine months easily and can guide you in the right direction to reduce anxiety. We have compiled a list of ten of the best pregnancy books for expectant mothers to help them cope up with the stress of the pregnancy easily and track their child’s development:
Editor Pick Best Pregnancy Books
Table could not be displayed.
What to Expect When You’re Expecting
One of the most popular books for pregnancy of all times, this book by Heidi Murkoff and Sharon Mazel has been named as “One of the most influential books of the last 25 years”. The book is filled with detailed informational advice on pregnancy, nursing, and medical coverage. A section on the latest advice for dads is also included for fathers. It also incorporates useful advice on lifestyle choices mothers should make and on breastfeeding. The book has around 656 pages and is written is a humorous and engaging tone. The price of the paperback edition is reasonable.PROS:
- The book is updated frequently to incorporate current trends and practices.
- it is written in a conversational tone and does not feel boring to read.
- There are lot of different sections on lifestyle, health, diet, delivery, breastfeeding, and medical concerns.
- The price of the book is reasonable as compared to the information it offers.
- The earlier versions of the book might be a little old school for modern parents.
- The website of the authors also has similar information.
What we like about it:This book has been around for generations and has won many awards in its category. There are many different versions of the book according to year and country so people can get a customized and updated version of their book easily.
The Mama Natural Week-by-Week Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth
Prior to writing this book, Genevieve Howland was running a Youtube channel with funny and informational pregnancy videos. The book is full of helpful advice for women and tips on how to deal with minor issues in your pregnancy. It also contains many positive birth stories from other mothers. The book is divided into sections and has around 530 pages. It also contains illustrations to guide you through simple activities for maintaining your health and calming your mind. The price of the book is a little higher than other pregnancy books but you can get it at a good discount online.PROS:
- The book is written by a well-known Youtuber who is known for her helpful and informational pregnancy videos from a modern approach.
- It has a lot of illustrations and colorful text portions to make the book interesting.
- The positive birth stories shared in the book calm expectant mothers and reduce stress.
- The weekly recipes section helps mothers to understand what is essential for the development of the baby.
- The book is a little expensive as compared to other pregnancy books.
- The brightly colored pages can take some time for the eyes to adjust to the color.
What we like about it:This book is recommended for mothers who want to keep a week-by-week track of their pregnancy and need a modern approach rather than an informational guide. The inclusion of illustrations and colorful images make it an interesting read for the tired expectant mothers.
Yeah Baby!: The Modern Mama’s Guide to Mastering Pregnancy
Jillian Michaels is a well-known fitness guru and she has shared her experiences of two pregnancies in this pregnancy book which also has inputs from a team of expert doctors and dieticians. It contains everything from how to get pregnant to what to do once you are pregnant. The workouts included in the book for maintaining your body while pregnant help you a lot in maintaining a healthy body weight during pregnancy. The book is written is a witty tone and combines detailed sections on diet and exercise to help you get through your pregnancy in the healthiest possible way. The book has 384 pages and has a reasonable price.PROS:
- It is a great book for fitness lovers who are expecting a baby as it enlists a lot of safe workouts for all trimesters.
- The book is not very lengthy and is written in a witty tone.
- It also includes a detailed chapter on how to get pregnant and things you need to keep in mind if you want to conceive.
- The expert tips shared by doctors and dieticians make the book very credible.
- The book focuses too much on using completely organic products which might not be feasible in some cases.
- It can seem a bit autobiographical to some readers.
What we like about it:You can go for this book if you already follow Jillian Michaels for her fitness videos and are looking for something similar for pregnant ladies. The book is a storehouse of knowledge if you want to know more about workouts and diet during pregnancy.
Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom Is Wrong–and What You Really Need to Know
This book by Emily Oster busts the conventional myths you hear about pregnancy and tries to introduce you to the latest medical information about pregnancy and along with why pregnant women are told to avoid some things and are encouraged to eat certain foods. It helps you make an informed decision about eating or not eating certain foods during pregnancy and avoiding some activities. Emily is a famed economist and uses scientific data to prove her points. The price of the book is higher than other books and it contains 336 pages.PROS:
- The book talks about myths and facts associated with pregnancy and supports them with statistical data.
- It is divided into small sections to make it interesting to read.
- The author advocates for learning the logic behind each of the pregnancy wisdom.
- The length of the book is apt for a short read.
- Some sections of the book are not backed by proper research and might be misleading.
- The print of the book is not very clear on some pages.
What we like about it:This book busts a lot of conventional myths about pregnancy and lets mothers understand the logic behind some of the facts. It is a short read and you can enjoy the sections which you feel can help you understand your pregnancy better.
The Girlfriends’ Guide to Pregnancy
If you are looking for a hilarious read to take your mind off the anxiety of pregnancy, this book is a perfect gift you should buy for yourself. In this book, Vicki Lovine shares pregnancy advice that your doctor might not be able to share with you. It includes useful details about what a woman actually goes through during the nine months. Whether it is about mood swings, maternity fashion, or your birthing options, this book explains everything in so much detail that you do not need any other book. The price of the book is affordable as compared to the other pregnancy books.PROS:
- The book is written in a witty tone which makes it very interesting to read it.
- It shares advice from real mothers and covers topics which can be too embarrassing to discuss with your doctor.
- The book does not try to terrify expectant mothers and shares advice in a humorous way.
- The price of the book is affordable.
- The book focuses a lot on body issues during pregnancy and can make the reader feel fat and unattractive during pregnancy.
- The book is to be taken lightly as it does not back up its claims with facts.
What we like about it:You can buy this book for its light and humorous take on pregnancy if you want to refresh your mind. It has some really good insights on topics which only girlfriends talk about with each other.
Nurture: A Modern Guide to Pregnancy
Written with an integrative approach for modern parents, Nurture is written by Erica Chidi Cohen who is a doula. She has assisted in many births and shares her experience as a doula in the book with trimester-wise chapters on nutritional needs, body development, and diet. The author’s experience as a lactation counselor is shared for helping women with breastfeeding issues. A lot of pregnant women actually felt empowered to trust their body after reading the book. A chapter on postpartum needs is also included for a complete approach. The price of the book is moderate.PROS:
- The author is a doula and a lactation counselor and she shares her own experiences in the book along with practical advice.
- It includes a chapter on postpartum care also to give you a complete experience.
- The price of the book is reasonable.
- Some healthy recipes and diet tips are also included in the book for helping mothers nourish their body.
- Some of the information contained in the book is quite basic.
- The chapters of the book are quite small so you might need to wait to reach your next milestone before reading the next chapter.
What we like about it:Nurture is a well-written book for mothers who want to nourish their bodies holistically according to the tips shared by an experienced doula. The postpartum section lays special emphasis on how to take care of your body and the baby after the delivery.
The Pregnancy Countdown Book: Nine Months of Practical Tips
Written by Susan Magee, this book serves as a guide for all 280 days of pregnancy and has inputs from doctors as well as other mothers. It also has quite a few anecdotes that are not shared commonly. The book has 288 pages and is written is a fun and informational tone without sounding boring. The book does not have a lot of content and is supposed to be a fun experience for tensed mothers. It has a validating tone and has a positive vibe which can be very good for anxious pregnant ladies. The price of the book is moderate but you can get it at a good discount online.PROS:
- The book serves as a daily guide for expectant mothers and has some handy tips along with advice shared by doctors and mothers.
- The tone of the book is witty and it surrounds the reader with a positive vibe.
- It is a short read and the readers are not bombarded with preachy information.
- The anecdotes shared in the book are quite relevant and lighten the mood.
- The book does not contain a lot of useful information you can actually learn.
- The book focuses too much on the problems faced by women in the first trimester.
What we like about it:This book can bring a welcome change from all the bulky pregnancy books with too much information. It is a light and funny book which captures the day-to-day developments of pregnancy.
Pregnancy, OMG!: The First Ever Photographic Guide for Modern Mamas-to-Be
A visual guide for navigating your way through pregnancy, this book written by Nancy Redd is a colorful and exciting way to get to know all about the changes your body goes through during pregnancy. It covers many topics that you might be too embarrassed to talk about with your doctor. From humorous findings to serious concerns, the book talks about everything with wit and humor. It has photographs of real women depicting the changes they encountered in pregnancy. The book has 244 pages and is divided into smaller sections for each stage of the journey. The price of the book is high as compared to other books on the same topic.PROS:
- The book serves as a visual guide and is full of colorful photographs of real mothers sharing their pregnancy experiences.
- It is divided into small sections which are interesting to read.
- The real experiences shared in the book reduce anxiety and help normalize the changes that occur during pregnancy.
- The colorful and attractive design of the book makes it easier to read the book.
- The graphic pictures of some of the changes can disturb the reader.
- It can be a little overwhelming to go through the detailed sections of the book.
What we like about it:You can buy this book if you want to understand what might be happening to your body during pregnancy. The photographs of real mothers reduce the anxiety of expectant mothers.
Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
One of the most popular books available for pregnant ladies, the Mayo Clinic’ guide to a Healthy Pregnancy is written by doctors who are parents. Filled with accurate and useful information, this book comes with a weekly calendar, a guide for all common symptoms, and a guide on how to make important decisions related to the pregnancy. The illustrations included in the book guide expectant parents at each step on how to cope up with that particular stage of pregnancy. The 40-week calendar gives you a clear idea of weekly changes during the period. The price of the book might be high but it is completely worth it if you need a great guide on pregnancy.PROS:
- The guide is written by experienced doctors who understand the medical issues well and have gone through the same journey.
- It contains helpful advice on various stages of pregnancy and childbirth.
- The book is regularly updated and has new and revised versions also for modern parents.
- The topics are covered in great detail and each of the topics is backed by proper scientific evidence.
- The book is quite lengthy and it contains too much information.
- The price of the book is high.
What we like about it:This book might seem a bit overwhelming at first but it has all the information you need for your nine-month journey. It covers everything from conception to childbirth and shares great tips on how to control anxiety and nourish your body.
Pregnancy Day By Day
Another great day by day book for expectant mothers, Pregnancy Day By Day is written by experts and doctors. The main writer, Dr. Maggie Blott has over 30 years of experience working in obstetrics and gynecology. The book has separate sections on nutritional needs, medical concerns, pains during pregnancy, and childbirth. The book has 496 pages so it might seem lengthy but the short and crisp sections make it interesting to read it. The book also includes pictures which help you understand the changes in each trimester. The price of the book is very high but the attractive layout and real pictures make it worth the high price.PROS:
- The author has a lot of experience with pregnancies and childbirth.
- The book is written well and the short sections are easy to read.
- The pictures shared in the book make the readers aware of the changes their body is going through.
- A postpartum section is also included to help new mothers understand the needs of the baby.
- The book is quite lengthy.
- The price of the book is very high as compared to other pregnancy books.
What we like about it:This book might seem expensive but it is backed by a lot of research and experience by expert doctors. It can be a great guide for mothers who want to read a more detailed guide for pregnancy-related concerns.
Check Video Review
Now that we have discussed some of the most popular pregnancy books available for expectant mothers, it is time to look into the factors you need to consider while buying a pregnancy book as every individual has different requirements. Some of the factors that must be considered include:
- Tone of the book:
Always make sure that the book is written in a crisp and entertaining manner so that it is not boring to go through the pages. Check the excerpt to understand the tone before purchase so that you know that you are going to enjoy the book thoroughly.
Always check the history of the author behind the book as this can make a huge difference in how you perceive the book. Some books are written by doctors and experts of pregnancy and childcare so they contain factually correct information while some books are written by other moms who might not be factually correct.
If you are looking for a fun and entertaining read for a short trip, go for a short book and if you want a detailed guide on everything related to pregnancy, you can go for the lengthy books. Make sure that the book you purchase has ample information and does not miss out on facts.
Having illustrations in the book along with real pictures is always helpful as you can relate to the stages of the pregnancy in a much better way. Some books come with pictures of real mothers and children to help normalize the journey for new mothers.
This might not be a very important criteria when it comes to pregnancy books as you do not buy them often but it can be an important factor if you do not want to invest a lot in a book. Most pregnancy books cost anywhere between 10$ to 20$ so you can choose according to your budget.
So this was a detailed compilation of the ten best pregnancy books you can find to help you understand this journey and your body in a better way. These books are very helpful in guiding new parents and can serve as a journal for the nine months.
Have you bought a pregnancy book? Which one is your favorite?