A garage is typically the part of the house where people dump all the things that are not required. But as things pile up in the garage, it becomes increasingly hazardous to navigate it. To make optimal use of the space in the garage, you need to invest in a storage system. A garage storage system will help you keep the area neat, leave plenty of space to keep your car parked, and most importantly, will not be an accident-prone zone. The following are detailed product reviews and a buyer’s guide for the top garage storage systems on the market.
Best Garage Storage Systems Reviewed
Best Organizing System
StoreYourBoard Omni Tool Storage Rack is a compact, simple and straightforward garage storage system. The rack is built from steel and can accommodate gear that weighs as much as 200 lb!
You can clear the floor area of your garage by neatly stacking up your power tools, brooms, garden tools, etc., up against the wall. That precious floor space can be used for other things, allowing you to get the optimum use of all the space in your garage. It has been recognized as the leading organizing system as it provides you with an easy solution to keep all your garage gear and tools in an organized and neat fashion. The following are some of the features the storage rack has to offer:
- The storage rack is built with heavy-duty steel and can hold up to 200 lb of gear.
- There are six storage attachments — four large (11 inches long, 2 inches wide) and two small (5 inches long, 2.5 inches wide).
- It has an exclusive design, patent pending.
- The tool storage can customize the garage and can be attached to a 46-inch long wall.
- It can hold rakes, ladders, shovels, backpacks, helmets, etc.
- The six different storage attachments make this a very versatile garage storage system option.
- The storage rack is made with heavy-duty steel and can hold up to 200 lb of gear.
- This can be used on a wall 46 inches long, freeing up a lot of your floor space.
- Each storage attachment can be locked securely with a gated pin.
- The mounting screws tend to be too short, making the rack unsteady.
- Some customers would have preferred if the rack was even longer.
Best Budget Shelving System
The AmazonBasics four-tier wire storage shelves rack is a great budget option for sorting out your garage’s storage needs. The shelf is an efficient storage system and has an elegant-looking chrome finish.
It can also take a lot of weight so you can store a variety of heavy tools and gear on the shelf. It also has adjustable leveling feet so you can set the level of the shelves at one that suits your needs. The following are some of the features that the storage shelf offers:
- The unit has four tiers that can be used in the garage, on an office, in the kitchen, etc.
- A single shelf can hold up to 350 lb, and the whole unit can hold up to 1400 lb.
- It has durable steel construction and also has a chrome finish that gives it an elegant look.
- It measures 36”x14”x54” (LxWxH).
- The wire shelves are adjustable, as are the leveling feet.
- This is a good-looking shelf — just because it is going to be parked in your garage doesn’t mean it can be shabby looking.
- A single shelf can withstand a lot of weight, so the whole unit can take about 1,400 lb with ease.
- The wire shelves are adjustable, allowing you to place objects of different heights together.
- The shelf is easy to assemble, with four heavy-duty wire shelves, four steel poles with floor protectors, and 16 plastic sleeves.
- The plastic sleeves can be of better quality.
- The shelf is not very sturdy, and the design tends to be wobbly in parts.
Best Hooking System
The Rubbermaid FastTrack Garage Storage System is an all-in-one rail and hook kit which requires not more than six pieces to make your garage look neat as a pin.
The kit comes with all the installation equipment and is quite easy to set up. It’s a simple rail with a set of hooks, and while it may not be able to cover too much space, the product is inexpensive enough for you to buy more than one of them. The manufacturers have also taken care of security by providing locking grippers. The following are some of the features the rail and hook kit has to offer:
- The kit includes a 32-inch FastTrack garage rail, a utility hook, two handle hooks, and two-scoop hooks.
- There are also locking grippers on the accessory hooks that provide enhanced security.
- All the installation hardware comes included with the kit.
- The components are strong but lightweight and can hold a variety of accessories.
- You can customize your garage space with these rails and hooks.
- You require only common household tools to install the storage rail and hooks. This is a one-person job.
- The rail and hooks are durable and will give you years of use.
- You can buy several of these kits together as they are not very expensive storage tools.
- The length specified in the description is misleading.
- The holes in the rail do not line up to mount on the studs.
Best Floating Shelves
The Fleximounts Wall Shelf Garage Storage Rack Floating Shelves are sturdy and stable storage options. The heavy-gauge steel construction makes the rack extremely safe and allows it to withstand a lot of heavy weight (evenly distributed). The buckle design also has velcros that keep the brackets in place and prevent them from bending. The rack can be secured to wall studs or even concrete walls, though metal studs are not very compatible. The following are some of the features the floating shelves offer:
- The shelf comes with an installation template for mounting holes, and Bubble Level that helps get the ideal alignment.
- The racks have been built with heavy gauge steel construction.
- It can withstand up to 400 lb in total — provided the weight is distributed evenly.
- The buckle design has velcros that keep the brackets in place and prevents them from bending.
- It is meant to be an easy, one-person installation.
- It can be installed with (non-metal) wall studs or directly onto a concrete wall.
- The screws provided with the rack are thicker and of higher quality, compared to what competitors provide.
- Each rack can take 200 lb of weight — meaning, the unit in all can take 400 lb of weight.
- The shelves are narrower than expected when they come out of the box.
- It can be difficult to install if you want to configure it as one single shelf.
Best for Small Tools
The Wall Control Pegboard Pack is an easy, efficient and systematic way to keep your garage organized. The pegboard is one of the most versatile ways of sorting out the storage problem in any place. You can install rails and hooks, using the pegboard to store anything. In the case of this pegboard, the galvanized steel gives it great durability. It does not require any framework and the pegboard panel can be mounted directly onto the studs or sheetrock. The following are some of the features the pegboard has to offer:
- The metal pegboard is 32 inches tall and 16 inches wide.
- The pegboard is compatible with a variety of storage options — hooks, pegs, brackets, shelves, etc.
- The steel panel protects the pegboard and prevents it from fraying and wearing out.
- It is built with a pre-formed flange (3.4 inches) that can separate the surface of the panel storage from the wall.
- It does not require any prior framework and can be mounted directly onto studs or sheetrock.
- The pegboard can be installed fairly quickly because it does not require any prior framework to be mounted on.
- Since it is built with durable metal and has a steel panel, it is 10 times more durable than traditional pegboards.
- The pegboard is available in 10 different colors!
- It is compatible with all Wall Control slotted accessories.
- The product is a bit steeply priced.
- The panels are not uniform in shape and size, some customers reported.
Most Durable Hooking System
The CoolYeah Steel Garage Storage Utility Double Hooks offer eight wall-mounted double hooks that make storing power tools, gear, gardening tools, etc., extremely easy to store. The hooks have an extended length and an anti-slip coating that allow you to hang objects as heavy as 40 lb. The hooks are made with heavy-duty iron and come with a year-long quality warranty. The hooks can be installed wherever you feel the need to solve a storage problem and are extremely versatile, not to mention inexpensive. The following are some of the features the double hooks have to offer:
- The kit is a set of eight wall-mounted double hooks.
- The hooks are made of heavy-duty iron and the anti-slip coating is made of PVC.
- The hooks can be used to hang heavy objects up to 40 lb.
- The hooks have notches and spikes at the back of the plate for easy installation.
- The hooks can be installed even on drywall, wall studs and a variety of other wall types.
- There are 32 sets of screws and wall plugs in the package, which allow for easy installation.
- The one-year quality warranty puts you in an advantage in case the hooks do not work out for you and you want to get them exchanged.
- The anti-slip PVC coating makes the hooks durable enough to endure heavyweights.
- The supplied wall screws show a lot of room for improvement.
- The four holes in the hook are too closely placed and could be placed further apart for more stability.
Related article: Favorite Outdoor Utility Wagons
Best Ceiling Mount System
The NewAge Products ceiling mount garage storage rack is one of the top ceiling mount systems in the market. It clears up an incredible amount of space in your garage and allows you to use your floor and wall space for other things. The height is highly adjustable and the body of the rack is protected from rust and scratches. It can also take a fair amount of weight for a rack that has been mounted to the ceiling. The following are some of the features the ceiling mount system offers:
- The rack measures 96”x48”x45” (LxDxH) and has a weight capacity of up to 600 lb (provided the weight is distributed well).
- It has a powder-coated paint finish that protects the rack’s body from rust, scratches and temperature changes.
- The height is adjustable anywhere between 18 inches and 42 inches.
- The length is adjustable from 4 x 6 feet to 4 x 8 feet.
- It is available in two colors — hammertone gray and high-gloss white.
- You can attach a bike to the ceiling rack and clear out precious floor space.
- The rack can be installed as low as 18 inches, giving you wide freedom in adjusting its length.
- You can also invest in accessory kits like hanging bars, J-hooks and multi-purpose hooks.
- The rack can be installed easily, though you may require the aid of one more person.
- The instruction manual is not as helpful as one would require.
- It requires adjustment to your existing I-joists in order to be mounted probably.
Best Cable-Lifted Rack
The Racor ceiling storage heavy lift is a highly adjustable storage system that can be mounted to any ceiling. It has built-in nylon strings that can be angled according to the ceiling it has been mounted on. The cables are extremely durable and safe, allowing the rack to take as much weight as possible. Once you have adjusted the shelf to your preferred height, you can lock it securely in place. With this ceiling storage heavy lift, you will get plenty of additional overhead storage space and also extra floor space. Make a lot more room for the things that you need daily by storing the things require less frequently, overhead. The following are some of the features the storage system offers:
- The rack is built with high-strength steel that allows you to lift as much as 250 lb.
- It can be raised and lowered with ease, thanks to the built-in nylon strings.
- The steel cables accommodate an eight-feet vertical lift and the system can then be locked securely into place.
- It can create 16 square feet of additional overhead space.
- It can be mounted on any ceiling and adjusted, making it an extremely flexible and versatile storage system.
- The steel cables are vinyl coated and are extremely resilient and safe.
- You can easily crank the storage system up and down.
- It comes with all the pieces required for installation.
- It may require some safety improvements as some customers found it to be unsteady.
- It may be advisable to pay a professional to install the storage system securely.
Things to Consider Before Buying
When you are looking for a garage storage system, there are a few things you may want to consider before settling on any one system. You need to look into the safety of these systems as they will be used to store heavy power tools that could be dangerous if not stored properly. The following are some of the factors you may want to consider before buying a garage storage system:
Do’s and Don’ts
There are a few do’s and don’t when you set out to buy anything, especially when a fair amount of money is involved. The following are some of the do’s and don’ts for buying garage storage systems:
- Do a quality check when you are mounting a rack on the ceiling. This type of storage system could cause the gravest injury if not secured properly.
- Don’t crowd the storage unit, especially if it is a ceiling unit. If you realize you have more storage needs than what the unit can provide, either buy an additional unit or look for something bigger altogether.
- Do invest in hooks and racks for hanging garden tools on the wall.
- Don’t be lured by cheap storage options for the heavier tools. If the storage system gives way, it could cause serious injury.
- Do invest in wall storage systems as much as possible — this includes, hooks, rails, pegboards, etc.
- Do measure how much space you have in the garage before you set out to buy a storage system.
Types of Garage Storage Systems
As can be ascertained from the products that have been reviewed above, there are quite a few types of garage storage systems or storage systems in general that you can invest in. The following are some of the most common garage storage systems:
- Wall Storage
Wall storage systems are generally hooks, pegs, and rails that help organize your gear and tools in the garage. Instead of stacking your gardening equipment one on top of the other and wasting precious floor space, you can neatly hang the broom, shovel, drills, etc, on wall storage systems. They instantly make your garage look more spacious and allow you to make optimum use of the space provided to you in the garage. Typically, a garage has four walls — make use of all four walls to clear floor space and make your garage more easily navigable without the fear of tripping on something on the floor.
- Ceiling Storage
Ceiling storage is a way to create more overhead space. You can mount racks and shelves on the ceiling and place some of the bigger equipment, tools, and gears on it. You can also place containers you use for car washing, pails of unused paint and anything that takes up unnecessary space on the floor. This is also a clever way of segregating between the content of your garage. The things that you do not require very frequently can be placed in the ceiling storage systems so you can reach it only when required. The things that you require more frequently can be placed closer to the floor level or hung on wall storage systems. Some ceiling storage systems also have cables that allow you to crank the storage systems up and down so by adjusting the level, you can reach even the ceiling storage systems with immense ease.
Shelves are regular tiered structures that can be used to keep supplies and products. Often, garage shelves are made with sturdy steel and the various levels are adjustable so you can keep things of varying heights even in the lower levels. If any item, say a tall pail of engine oil, is having trouble fitting into the shelf, the level can be adjusted so that the pail can be accommodated and provided with more space.
The benefit of shelves is that they are not hammered into the wall. Often, they have casters that allow you to move the shelves around in the garage, depending on where it’s required. Shelves also come in a variety of sizes and often you can disassemble a large shelf and use it as two smaller shelves. There are several possibilities.
- Heavy Equipment
While most storage systems do have a certain endurance level for heavy objects, when you are looking to store especially heavy equipment, there are separate options for that too. There are ways to store a large kayak or canoe in your garage and crank it right up to the ceiling so it does not take up floor space. The same can be said about bicycles.
These storage systems are especially durable and need to be secured very carefully as they tend to be mounted on the ceiling. A good manufacturer will take care of all these safety considerations.
Why Do You Need a Garage Storage System?
The purpose of the storage system is very important. When you set out to buy a garage storage system, keep in mind what you are looking to store. You will need to look for a storage plan accordingly. For example, if you are looking to store simple gardening tools like a shovel, a long broom, etc., a wall storage system should be sufficient. For pails, containers and large boxes, you can invest in a ceiling mounted storage system. But if you are looking for something especially durable and strong to take the weight of heavy items like a kayak, a boat or a bicycle, you need something heavy-duty and nearly invincible. So keeping in mind the purpose of the storage system you are looking for is extremely important.
There are a few questions that are asked frequently when people set out to buy garage storage systems. A lot of the queries may already have been addressed in the review and buying guide above. The following are some of the other frequently asked questions:
What Is a Good Price to Pay for a Garage Storage System?
The price you pay for a garage storage system depends completely on the type of storage system you invest in. Wall storage systems tend to be cheaper than other types of storage systems. If you buy a set of hooks and a rail, that is bound to cost you a lot less than if you buy a complete racking system that can be mounted on the wall. Of course, if your requirement is for a ceiling storage system, it does not mean that you would need to shell out a lot of money by compulsion. It will be more expensive than a set of hooks and a rail, but there are several budget options even for ceiling storage systems.
Which Is Better — Wall Mounted Shelving Systems or Overhead Ceiling Racks?
The answer to this depends entirely on your requirements. Both systems clear floor space out so they do have that going for them. But depending on your requirements, a wall shelving system may be better for some and an overhead ceiling rack may be better for others. For example, if you want to store gardening tools that you use regularly, there is no point in putting them in overhead storage space. You would rather have it mounted on the wall where it can be accessed easily. But as mentioned before, if you are looking to store bigger things that will take up a lot of space on the floor and even on the wall, they can be hoisted up to an overhead ceiling rack. Both have their perks depending on what your storage needs are.
What Safety Measures Should You Take for Garage Storage Systems?
The garage can be quite a hazardous place. A lot of your power tools, heavy equipment and gear is usually stored in the garage. If these items are not stored properly, you could make yourself vulnerable to injury. After all, nobody wants a power tool stored overhead to come crashing down on them!
- You need to make sure there are no flammable liquids in the garage. If you need to store these liquids, try as far as possible, to keep them outside the garage.
- Ensure that the overhead racks have been secured properly. If you have drywall, it may not be the greatest idea to have overhead storage units.
- Keep your garage clutter-free. The more storage hacks you employ to keep your garage tidy, the safer it is!
- Take care of your guitar floor as well. An old, unpolished garage floor is a tripping and slipping hazard.
Can You Install Overhead Ceiling Racks into the Walls?
There is no one answer to this. Depending on the brand, some overhead ceiling racks can also be mounted on the wall. The main requirement is the configuration. The orientation of the rack will change completely when it is mounted sideways instead of upside down on the ceiling. In most cases, this is not possible but some brands design their racks to make it possible.
The garage storage systems that have been mentioned above are some of the greatest in the market. They have been categorized into different types so each storage system has something unique to offer. The products have also been chosen keeping in mind the types of garage storage systems that have been mentioned in the buying guide. There are wall storage systems, overhead ceiling racks, as well as shelves, mentioned in the reviews above. Securing your garage by investing in a good storage system is of the utmost importance and these products are the right way to go!